Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Monroe Lake Paynetown Beach Painting Demo, 080517 12x12 #2


This is the second painting I did as part of my Arts in the Parks painting demonstration project at Monroe Lake Paynetown beach on August 5, 2017, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.  The second painting ran over the time slot but I wanted to finish the painting so kept working.  You can read about the first painting HERE.

I started with an initial sketch using a brush dipped in cold pressed linseed oil and the magenta pigment which is a transparent color.
Then I blocked in the dark line of trees.  I mixed the sandy color using Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Red Light and Medium and Titanium White.  I also mixed a violet, the complementary color of yellow, using Primary Red-Magenta and Cerulean Blue, and used the violet to tone down the sand color and add shadows.

 


Then I added the sky and water.  Once the ground was painted in, I dashed in the tents and people on the beach.


You can see the rich glow on the parchment paper palette.  Most paper palettes are made with a waxy paper that just doesn't work for me.  Scrapping the palette with my palette knives eventually leads to bits of wax coming off into the paint.  UGH!

The final painting:
"Monroe Lake Paynetown Beach, August 5, 2017", plein air oil on panel, 12" x 12", c. 2017, by Charlene Marsh.

Thanks so much for following along!

Happy Trails!

Cheers,

Charlene 
 http://www.in.gov/arts/files/IndianaArtsCommission-logo.png




http://www.in.gov/arts/files/DNR-SP_color_logoFINAL%20copy.jpg
"This activity is made possible with support by the Indiana Arts Commission and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources OR Name of appropriate State Historic Site."

No comments:

Post a Comment