Friday, November 5, 2021

Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance FINAL

 

Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance FINAL

Caleb and Jessica's First Dance Final

Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance FINAL

First Dance FINAL

This week, we are finishing Caleb and Jessica’s “First Dance” wedding painting.  You can see the Live Wedding SketchesPart 1, and Part 2 to see the inspiration, design, and progress of the painting.

All that is left is the chandelier and the bride.  These elements are the highlights of the painting and I have been looking forward to getting to this point.

Video

Here is a short video showing the evolution of the painting from start to finish:





On YouTube:




If watching videos is not your thing, scroll down to see the step-by-step pictures.

The Chandelier

Painting the Chandelier, Caleb and Jessica's First Dance
Painting the Chandelier, Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance

The chandelier in the beautiful Sixpence venue, is painted in warm shades of red, orange, and gold that sparkle against the complementary blue greys.  If you look carefully, the lights in the chandelier form the hint of a heart over the newlyweds.

Painting the Bride’s Hands and Face

Caleb and Jessica's First Dance
Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance

Next, I paint the bride’s face, arms, and hands.

The Negative Space Around the Bride’s Head

Caleb and Jessica's First Dance
Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance

Painting the negative space helps define the bride’s face and expression.  I used a bright green to pop out the face.  Later, I will adjust the color, as needed.

At this point, I am ready to paint the bridal gown.  Usually, I paint the basic values of the fabric and then add the lace, brocade, or any pattern.  I wanted to experiment with seeing how it would compare to paint the gown the way I normally approach it versus painting the pattern first, then the negative space around the lace patterns.

Painting Brocade Experiments

Painting brocade sample
Painting brocade sample 1.

Using my small panel painting easel, I made a quick, 8″ x 6″ sample.  In sample 1, I started with painting the fabric and then added the patterns on top.

Painting brocade sample
Painting brocade sample 2.

In sample 2, I painted the fabric in the shadow area and painted the pattern first on the lighter areas.  Then painted the negative space around the pattern.

While both samples were successful, I felt I had more control over the under layer of fabric that sets the tone for the highlights and shadows in sample 1.  This is the method I normally use and so I went with this way of working.  But I was happy to do this little experiment to confirm which method works best for me and what I want to achieve.

Bride’s Gown and Final Tweaks

Caleb and Jessica's First Dance Final
Caleb and Jessica’s First Dance Final

First Dance FINAL

Once I painted in the bride’s gown, the painting really came together.  I worked on the highlights in the negative space wrapping around the bride’s head and highlighting her arm to create a dramatic, eye catching focal point tying in with the backlit highlight on her gown.

At this point, I was able to step back and see what else might need some adjustment.

I toned down the warm colors on the back, left wall so it would recede.  I also painted the negative space between the bride and groom, eliminating any elements that would get between the couple.  In my photo collage, prepared in Adobe Photoshop, there was some equipment and a man’s head in between the couple.  That would NOT do at all in the painting!

The passionate red represents the pure energy between the newlyweds.  I also reworked the groom’s head.  Normally, I sign the painting in the wet paint in the lower left but forgot to add it when the paint was wet.  So, I added some wet paint to the collar of the man recording on his cell phone and added my signature.

Love Love Love

Maybe I am biased, but I LOVE this painting!  🙂   Please let me know what you think.

If you want me to create a wedding painting for you or a loved one, visit my Wedding Paintings page to learn more.  I can’t wait to get started on the next one.

But for now, it is time to get out in the woods to paint en plein air.  Luckily, we are having a late fall and the colors are just now peaking.

Thanks so much for following along.   I really appreciate your support!

Happy trails,

Charlene

P.S.  If you would like to learn more about having a wedding painting created for yourself or a loved one, please visit the Wedding Paintings page on my website.  Feel free to call or email me with any questions.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment