Tuesday, March 29, 2022

 

Medical Freedom Rally

Medical Freedom Rally

Medical Freedom Rally

So this painting from the Medical Freedom Rally is a divergence from my usual forest and nature paintings.  Since I juried into the art fairs with the forest paintings, I am busy getting new ones ready for my upcoming show schedule and will share those shortly.

But today’s blog features this painting of a scene from the medical freedom rally held at the State House in Indianapolis in September.

Medical Freedom Rally
Detail

The rally was organized by Dr. Dan Stock and the Cyril and Dorothea’s Foundation for Medical Freedom and held on the steps of the State House with numerous speakers including politicians and health professionals.

You can see another painting from the Medical Freedom Rally, “Defy Tyrants”,  in an earlier blog post from this year.  I have a couple more paintings in the works.  Lots more ideas from other events as well.  Too many paintings to paint and too little time!

oil painting, Indianapolis, Indiana
“Medical Freedom Rally, State House, Indianapolis”, 6″ x 8″, oil painting, ©Charlene Marsh.

Normally, I paint on location or from life and then use those paintings as the inspiration for the studio paintings.

oil painting, Indianapolis, Indiana
“Medical Freedom Rally, State House, Indianapolis”, 6″ x 8″, oil painting, ©Charlene Marsh.

Using Photos

But for events like rallies, concerts, rummage sales, state and county fairs, weddings, and other action packed events, I prefer to shoot hundreds of photos.  Then, I can go through the photos and pull out the best ones for a painting.  Or, combine different photos to come up with a refined composition that still captures and reflects the energy and spirit of the event.

Medical Freedom Rally
Detail

This little painting is loaded with action.  I ended up using both palette knives and brushes to paint it.  With the brushes, I can get more details.  Probably got a bit too tight and too detailed on this painting.

Palette knives help to keep the painting loose.  I especially like the heavy, impasto effect of the paint applied with knives.  But details are hard to capture especially on a painting this small.  So, it is a balancing act.

Medical Freedom Rally
Detail

Painting events with lots of people is a nice change of pace from the forest paintings.  I just need to get looser with them.  When I paint in the forest, I take off my glasses which helps to fuzz out a lot of detail so I focus on the major elements.  That keeps me from getting too caught up in the details.  If I can’t see them, I can’t paint them!

Signature in the wet paint:

Medical Freedom Rally
Signature Detail

Painting people is not new for me at all.  In fact, I spent ten years painting models at the Life Drawing Co-op on the IU campus as well as hosting my own drawing co-ops out here on my farm.

oil painting, Indianapolis, Indiana
Detail, “Medical Freedom Rally, State House, Indianapolis”, 6″ x 8″, oil painting, ©Charlene Marsh.

Finished Painting:

Medical Freedom Rally
“Medical Freedom Rally, State House, Indianapolis”, 6″ x 8″, oil painting, ©Charlene Marsh.  Code#021822 S 6×8

Thanks for following along!

Happy trails,

Charlene

P.S.  You can purchase this painting HERE.

Philippians 4:8

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment