Friday, September 16, 2022

Making Frames

 

Making Frames

Making Frames

Making Frames

I am not a woodworker!  Never claimed to be a woodworker.  Never wanted to be a woodworker.

But, now I am a woodworker.

I wanted to make cradled panels and then add strip frames so I would be free to make large and not so large paintings in non-standard sizes.  And narrow strip frames so the paintings can be hung together in a grouping without the frames dominating, visually.

I find myself comparing wood stains like red oak vs. dark walnut.  And surveying lumber at Menards and Lowes.  What width would work with the cradled panels?  What type of wood glue would be best?  Nails vs screws + wood filler and grades of sand paper.  And lots of how-to youtube videos.

I even bought a miter saw and an electric hand sander at the Brown County Humane Society Barn Sale in August.  Which, by the way, is an awesome sale!  They have everything except clothes.  Tools, housewares, kitchen wares, furniture, toys, mowers, lawn tools, holiday decor, bikes, books, boats, even cars.  Last year the sale raised $56,000.  This year it raised $75,000!  Make a list and check it out next year.

Currently, when the weather is nice, my woodshop is the deck.  At night, the tools and wood go back inside.  I am debating about turning part of the barn into a woodshop.  Just part of it because I plan on getting horses again someday.

Frames
Staining frame strips

So, in this picture of my so-called woodshop, you can see the wood staining process, the miter saw, my workbenches, and my first completed strip frame on a painting.  The staining process really took a long time because each side of the wood needs 1-2 coats of stain + a coat of polyurethane.  And each coat needs to dry for several hours in between.

Charlene at the 4th Street Art Festival

Here are the new strip frames on the tetraptych paintings at the 4th Street Art Festival.

Four Season Grouping
Four Season Grouping

Check out how the paintings were created HERE:  Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. 

That’s it for today!

Happy trails!  I love you!

Charlene


No comments:

Post a Comment