Saturday, February 11, 2023

David and Dharma’s Wedding Oil Painting

 

David and Dharma’s Wedding Oil Painting

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting

David and Dharma’s Wedding Oil Painting

This is probably the most beautiful wedding I have ever attended.  The backlighting of the bride’s dress was stunning.  David and Dharma got married at the Beeson Hall Event Center in Franklin, Indiana.  They had no idea that the visual effect of the ceremony would be so dramatic.  I suppose if the day had been overcast, it may not have been so exquisite.

Two Versions

I ended up painting two versions of the ceremony.  The scene was so gorgeous and I wanted to try a couple different things in the paintings.  I’ll share the second version next time.  To be honest, I am still tweaking it.  David and Dharma can pick which one they want and I can use the other one in my booth at wedding trade shows.

Upcoming Wedding Trade Show

Speaking of a wedding trade show, I will be at one next weekend.  If you or a loved one is getting married this year, you may want to check out the bridal trade show where I will be exhibiting my wedding paintings on Sunday, February 19, 2023 at the Hilton Garden Inn South/Greenwood, 5255 Noggle Way, Indianapolis, IN.  The event runs from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  The show is free to attend but you must register here:  https://abridalaffair.net/ Be sure to register for the Greenwood show in the Indianapolis area.

Join my Wedding Painting Peeps

If you want to be notified about wedding trade shows and when I will be accepting bookings for wedding paintings, please join my Wedding Painting Peeps.

Video of the Creation of the Oil Painting

Step-By-Step

To start, I shoot several hundred photos of the event.  I never go in with a pre-conceived notion of what I want to paint.  I go and see what happens.  And then I work on the composition and color scheme and other details.  Mostly, I look for the most beautiful, heartfelt scene depicting the connection between the newlyweds to capture the beauty and joy of their unique wedding.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Drawing, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Composition and Drawing

Often, I’ll use Adobe Photoshop to fine tune the composition.  When I am happy, I draw it onto the panel.

I make the panels myself cutting them to the right size and then sealing with GAC 100 on the front and two coats of gesso, front and back and sides.  Then I tint the front with a bright magenta red.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Starting David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

The darkest values are blocked in first.

Please note that 99% of the painting was done with palette knives.  I love the chunky, painterly feel of the paint and it helps me from getting too tight.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Adding the preacher, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Preacher

Continuing with the darkest values which include the preacher who officiated.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Bright sky and windows, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Sky

For the sky and windows, I mixed a bright Cerulean Blue with Titanium White.  Getting the right value is crucial to creating the light in the painting.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Completing the sky, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

The sky is mostly completed in all the windows and around the tree on the left.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Light on the carpet inside, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Light on the Carpet

Next step is to paint the light hitting the carpet inside the wedding hall.  I used combos of Cadmium Red Light, Cadmium Yellow Light, and Titanium White.  At the edges of the shadows, I added some Cadmium Red Medium to help soften the transition from light to shadow.

At this point, I add my signature in the wet paint in the lower left.  I cannot add it once the paint starts to dry.

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Painting the groom, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Now, I am down to the most critical components of the painting:  the Bride and Groom.

I start with the groom using various shades and hues of violet and gold for his white tux.  White is never just white but various shades of the surrounding colors.

Next is the bride.  I again use various tones of violet and red in the dress.  For the highlights, I used a touch of Cadmium Yellow Light and Cadmium Red Light to make a soft peach with a lot of white added to highlight where the sun is backlighting the sheer lace.

Final Painting:

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
“David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting”, 16″ x 12″, oil painting,  ©Charlene Marsh.  Code #012723 S 16×12

The painting needs to dry at least three weeks before it can be varnished and framed.

Second Wedding

David and Dharma are actually in Mexico right now where they are getting married for a second time, on the beach, with David’s family who were unable to travel to Indiana for the first ceremony.  I bet it will be as beautiful as the first ceremony!

Finished Details

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Signature, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

 

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

 

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Upper torsos detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Figure Details

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

 

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Wedding gown detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

 

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Light on the wedding gown detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

 

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
Light on the groom’s leg detail, David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting.

Final Painting

David and Dharma's Wedding Painting
“David and Dharma’s Wedding Painting”, 16″ x 12″, oil painting,  ©Charlene Marsh.  Code #012723 S 16×12

Painting a gorgeous wedding like Dharma and David’s is so exhilarating it is why I keep coming back to painting, over and over again.  Whether it be the forest or the fair or a wedding, capturing the beauty of that moment for generations to come makes it worth all the effort.

Thanks for tuning in today!

I love and appreciate you!  I love being able to bring beauty and happiness, that transforms lives, into the world.

Happy trails,

Charlene

P.S.  If you want to be notified about wedding trade shows and when I will be accepting bookings for wedding paintings, please join my Wedding Painting Peeps.  I’d love to create an incredible wedding painting for you and your family.  No worries if the wedding has already happened.  I can still do a wedding painting using your photos.  It can be a bit more challenging because the professional  photographers use a flash that washes out all the color and values.  And they have a different vision for what they are looking for.  They are hired to capture the posed and staged moments and I go for the spontaneous moments.  I also want the full figures that include the full length of the bride’s gown which are usually cut off in the pro shots.  But we can make it work to create a stunning, unique wedding painting for you and your family for generations to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment