Sunday, November 15, 2015

Flowers Galore!

This painting is done in the studio.  I started with several sketches to figure out how I wanted to set it up.  Plein air paintings I have done over the years were used for inspiration.  Here's one page from my sketchbook.
I sketched out the painting on the panel with a brush dipped in linseed oil and a magenta cerulean blue mix and started blocking in the colors.
 I start with the darks first and then block in the bright flowers.
  Continuing to lay in the values and colors.
I work over the entire surface of the panel at the same time. 
 I block in the sky last.  Lightening a dark is much easier than trying to make a light value (with white) dark.  In fact, it is impossible!  Now the fun really begins! 
I go back into the painting adding the details of the flowers and leaves and flowing water.  Again, I work over the entire surface at the same time.  Since I work wet into wet, I have to work as fast as possible and stay with it over several days until it is done. 
 Finished painting.  "Flowers Galore", 24" x 36", oil on panel.  #110615 24x36

Thanks for tuning in!  Happy trails!

4 comments:

  1. This is a lovely painting--color is its signature. Thank you for sharing the process,Charlene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This painting let's me almost catch the scents of these gorgeous flowers and feel the sunshine and gentle breeze. Thank you for sharing your artistic process. Thank you so much...Susie in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Susie~

    Thanks so much for your comment. I so appreciate hearing how the painting conveyed the multi facets of the beauty of nature!

    ReplyDelete