Sunday, November 8, 2015

Painting a Small Snow Scene

I thought you might enjoy seeing how I create a 6" x 8" painting in the studio.  I use a plein air painting I did on location as reference and inspiration.  The plein air painting was done on a snowy afternoon as dusk set in and turned the sky a peachy rose color.  The color lasts a very short amount of time before the pitch black of night sets in.

I start with a quick sketch on a tinted panel and then block in the darkest darks first.

Gradually  the lighter values are added.  Since this is a snow painting, there are darks and then the snow whites. Not a lot in between.  I work over the entire panel at the same time, going from the background to the foreground and back again.  I block in the scene based on the color and values over the entire surface.
In the end, I pull out any feature that is in the foreground to make sure it pops forward and the background recedes back.  The finished painting:
"Snowy Forest at Dusk", 6" x 8", oil on panel.



Thanks for tuning in.  Please post your comments or questions.  I plan to answer questions in future blogs.  If you are asking it, probably other people are too!  I love hearing from you and appreciate your interest.

Happy trails!

P.S.  Be sure to sign up for my e-newsletter to get updates and new painting demos.

No comments:

Post a Comment