Monday, October 17, 2016

092116 S 24x36 Reflections in the Forest

I just love the colors in this plein air painting, particularly the color of the reflection in the water, and used it as the inspiration for a larger oil painting.
I also set up an "inspiration" board with past plein air paintings to pull from.  You can see the original, framed painting on the left and the "inspiration board" on the right.
I have sketched in the layout for the painting using a paintbrush dipped in cold pressed linseed oil and the transparent pigment, Primary Red Magenta.
I mix a dark earth color using Ultramarine Blue and Cadmium Red Medium, sometimes adding a bit of Cadmium Yellow.
I block in the hills using a mix of Primary Red Magenta, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Red Medium and Light with a touch of Ultra Blue and/or Cerulean Blue.  I work the entire surface throughout from background to foreground to background again. 
I worked into the night (more than once) on this painting so the light changes from the natural light in the studio to artificial halogen.  So the colors in these photos really shifted. 
I blocked in the golden yellow on the creek with a mix of Cadmium Yellow Light, Primary Red Magenta, and Titanium White with a touch of Cerulean Blue.  For the turquoise color, I mixed the Cerulean Blue with a green mixed from a tad of Cadmium Yellow and Cerulean.  I also often add a touch of Cadmium Red Medium to the Cerulean to get a nice, slate blue color. 
After the "muscles" of the painting are blocked in, I start adding the "skin", with autumn leaves dancing across the surface, reflections in the water, branches and limbs weaving throughout.
And here is the finished oil painting:
"Reflections in the Forest", oil on panel, #092116 S 24x36,  c. 2016, by Charlene Marsh.  SOLD

Thanks for visiting!  

I love to hear from you so please leave a comment or question!

Happy Trails!

Charlene

P.S.  Be sure to sign up for THE ART BRUSH newsletter where you can receive news, tips, special pricing, exhibitions, and more!  As a bonus, when you subscribe, you will immediately receive a FREE one page report on How to Create Health, Wealth, and Harmony Using Fine Art!


No comments:

Post a Comment