Thursday, May 27, 2021

 

Prints on Canvas

Prints on Canvas

Prints on Canvas

Over the years, I have gotten many requests for prints of my paintings.  Since I have always preferred creating new paintings over making prints, I never put much energy into the prints.  For awhile, I made a few 8″ x 10″ prints on an Epson printer using archival inks on rag paper.  The prints were mounted in mats and packed in a clear bag.  A lot of time and effort went into making each print and the cost of materials was high so it was a lot of work for little money.

Another reason, I steered clear of prints was that I didn’t think they would adequately capture the heavy impasto, paint strokes created by the palette knife.  Although, many people were very complimentary about the small  prints and how well the brush marks came off.

Print Samples

So I have been researching how I can offer high quality prints in larger sizes.  After finding a printer who makes excellent quality prints on canvas, I ordered a sample.  I love the print and the way it captures the texture of the painting.  Although, I wasn’t too keen on the white edges which would require that the print be framed.

Sample with white edges

Prints on Canvas
Prints on canvas with white edges.

So, I went back to the drawing board and researched how to make a print that would wrap around the edges without losing any of the painting image on the front.  I created a new file and sent off for another sample.

Here is the sample with the image wrapping around the edges:

 

Prints on Canvas
Print on canvas with the image printed on the edges.

This print on canvas looks fantastic!   The quality of the print is very good and the wrapped edges make a nice finish.  The print even comes with hanging hardware so it is ready to be hung in minutes.  A buyer can still add a frame if they want but  it is not necessary.  The print looks fantastic hung as is.

Detail

Here is a detail shot where you can see how the textured paint appears to leap off the canvas:

Prints on Canvas
Detail, print on canvas with the printed image wrapping around the edges.

So now that I am confident that these prints on canvas will meet my criteria, I will start working on prepping more files to add to the shop.  At the moment, there are only a couple square paintings available but I will be adding 18″ x 24″ and 24″ x 36″ prints on canvas in the near future so stay tuned.

Upcoming Giveaway for VIPs

I will also be hosting a giveaway for my VIP Insiders for the two sample prints I have.  I’ll let you know how to enter.

That’s it for now!  Thank you so much for following along!

Happy trails,

Charlene

P.S.  Please visit the new GALLERY page that has a wide selection of paintings, many of them sold, that you can refer to for ideas for commission projects, live painting events, or if you would like to see one of them made into a print.  Just let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment