Monday, December 19, 2022

Magical Valley, Part 1

 

Magical Valley

Site for commissioned oil painting

Magical Valley

Today, I start on a new, commissioned oil painting for a couple I have done two prior, large paintings.  They wanted a floral painting to fit on their brilliant, maroon red wall at the top of their staircase.  This location is one of the first things people see when they enter the front door.

Lightfastness

They were concerned about two hours of morning sunlight hitting the painting each day.  So, I did a great deal of research, consulted experts in the field, and came to the conclusion that using lightfast oil paints would be safe in this location.  The paints I use have the highest lightfast rating so they are fine to use for this project.  The very interesting subject of lightfastness in oil paints will be the topic of a future blog.

Location for the oil painting

Site for commissioned oil painting

As seen from the bottom of the stairs.

Site for commissioned oil painting

After discussing with Tom and Kendra their preferences for the painting, including colors, subject matter, size, framing, location, etc. I gave them a quote which they approved.  After receiving the down payment, I got to work on the painting.

Frame and panel prep

The painting was to be a custom size, 28″ x 46″ with an overall finished size of 36″ x 54″, so I ordered the frame and constructed the panel.  The frame came chopped and had to be joined at a local frame shop.  By the time I got the frame back from the frame shop, I had the panel cut, gessoed (front and back to seal the entire support), tinted, and ready to go.

Site for commissioned oil painting
Sketches for commissioned oil painting

Sketches

In the meantime, I worked on some thumbnail sketches to develop the composition of the painting.

Site for commissioned oil painting
Sketches for commissioned oil painting

Before I started the painting, I wanted to make sure the painting panel fit exactly in the frame.  Once I knew it was a perfect fit, I was ready to start painting.

Set up

I finalized the composition, had the panel prepped, and the frame on hand, so I set up my painting area.

Site for commissioned oil painting
Painting set up for commissioned oil painting

The panel is set up on double easels with reference paintings and photos pinned to foamboards on both sides.  I have overhead lights as well as easel lights and natural light during the daytime hours.

Initial sketch

The initial sketch is drawn on the panel using my paintbrush dipped in a mix of magenta + ultramarine blue + cold pressed linseed oil.

Site for commissioned oil painting
Starting the oil painting

Starting with the darkest values, I apply the paint for the shale rocks alongside the creek and falls.

Site for commissioned oil painting
Dark values applied first on the oil painting

The darkest, earth tones are mixed using Cadmium Red Medium and Ultramarine blue.  For the shale, I use mostly Cerulean Blue + a touch of Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red and Titanium White.  The front left of the creek, I used Cadmium Red + a touch of Blues,

Creek

Site for commissioned oil painting
Then the turquoise for the creek is painted.

Various shades of turquoise are mixed using Cerulean Blue + Cadmium Yellow + Titanium White + Ultramarine Blue.

Well, that’s it for today!  We will take up where we left off next time.

Thanks for following along.

Happy trails,

Love,

Charlene

P.S.  The studio/gallery is open this month, decked out in holiday finery.  Just call, (812-988-4497), or email, Char@CharleneMarsh.com, and let me know when you would like to visit Brown County!

Charlene Marsh Studio and Gallery
Charlene Marsh Studio and Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment