Monday, December 26, 2022

Magical Valley, Part 2

 

Magical Valley, Part 2

Commissioned oil painting

Magical Valley, Part 2

Check out Magical Valley, Part 1 to see the start of this painting.

Taking up where I left off last time, I continue painting the water in the creek and waterfalls.

Magical Valley Part 2 commissioned oil painting
Progress on the commissioned oil painting.

Blue Creek

My collectors wanted the creek to be more blue than earth tones and wanted the painting to really jump off and contrast with the red wall.   I thought the turquoise blue would really work well on the deep, red wall.

Commissioned oil painting
Adding trees in the background.

Trees

Next, I added the greenery of the trees in the background that are painted a dark value, silhouetted against the sky.

Commissioned oil painting
More trees.

Lighter value, background trees are added that will help add the illusion of depth and receding space.

Commissioned oil painting
Building up the ground.

Next, I paint the undertones for the flowers and hills.  The plan is to paint in the complementary colors to the flowers that will go on top.  That way, the complementary colors will optically vibrate against each other and enrich and enliven the painting.

Commissioned oil painting
Background hills.

I paint the lighter values of green for the background hills.  Not only are the greens lighter in value but a bit of complementary colors like red and orange are added to shift the green from a bright, saturated green to a duller, more distant green.

Am I crazy or what???

Must admit, at this point, I question my sanity and if the painting will turn out okay.  On a certain level, it is a mess!  Just have to power through and keep working, holding the faith that it will all come together.

Commissioned oil painting
Commissioned oil painting progress.

Next, I add more distance hills and finish painting in the background for the flowers.  I went heavy with the green which is the complementary color to really pop the red poppies I will be painting on top.

Then I start to add the vertical lines of the vegetation.

Commissioned oil painting
Tree trunks and the first hint of sky.

Tree trunks are painted over the background trees.  And the first strokes for the sky are added.

So that is it for today!

Next, we will add the flowers and put the finishing touches on the painting.  I will also have a short, time lapse video of how the painting was created from start to finish.

Be sure to tune in and see how it turns out.

Thanks so much for reading and following along!

I love and appreciate you very much!

Happy trails.

Love,

Charlene

P.S. The studio/gallery is open through the holidays!   Lanam Ridge Road should be passable in the next day or two now that the weather is warming up a bit and the snow will start to melt.  Call me (812-988-4497) or email me (Char@CharleneMarsh.com) and let me know when you would like to visit Brown County.

Charlene Marsh Studio and Gallery

Magical Valley Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment