Sunday, July 17, 2022

Making Cradled Panels

 

Cradled Panels

Cradled Panels

Cradled Panels

This week I have been making cradled panels.  Usually I just use cut panels and then pop them in a frame when the painting is done.  But I am wanting to work in some larger, non-standard sizes.  Using a cradle will allow me to either leave the finished painting unframed or add a simple, strip frame to it.  Also, the cradle provides bracing to keep larger panels from bending.

Panel Prep

The panels were prepared in advance.  I had these pieces cut at Lowe’s where they did it for free on their large, vertical cutter.  Lowe’s has an employee/owner relationship with their staff so the service is really great there.  The staff is invested in the success of the company.   A young man walked with me around the store to get everything on my list.  Try to get that kind of service at the other Big Box stores!

Sealing the panels

I seal the front with GAC 100 which makes sure that anything from the hardboard panel will not bleed through and discolor the oil painting over time.  Next, I gesso the front and back with two coats of white gesso.  Lastly, I tint the front with two coats of acrylic red paint.

Panels vs. Canvas

I prefer painting on panels as they hold up better to the palette knives.  Stretched canvas has too much flexibility and bounce to it.  Archivally, panels are better, too, because the flexing canvas can cause the paint to flake off over time.

woohshop on the deck
“Woodshop” and large cradled panel with weights while the glue dries.

Woodshop on the Deck

My “woodshop” is the deck so decent weather is crucial.  Luckily, I had a stretch of glorious weather to get the job done.  A hand held circular saw is woefully inadequate but it was manageable when I was cutting bigger pieces.  Trying to trim 1/4″ off the 1″ x 2″ pieces was impossible.  A miter saw is on the Vision Board!  Anyway, I went over to a friend’s woodshop to cut those pieces.  They had a really cool miter saw with a laser light to mark the cutting line.  With the right tools, working with wood isn’t too bad.  Although I still prefer working with malleable paint.

Gorilla Glue

Using 1″ x 2″ pine strips, I cut them to the needed length and width to fit around the edges of the panels.  Then I added a bead line of Gorilla Wood Glue to the edge of the strip and added it to the edge of the already gessoed and tinted panel.

Art books weights
Art books weighing down the pine strips on the cradled panels.

Art Books for Weights for Cradled Panels

I put my collection of art books to good use weighing done the strips until the Gorilla Glue set.  This panel is 48″ x 48″ so I added a center bracing strip.  Two smaller pieces were used to keep the center brace from touching the panel so that it would not cause an indentation on the front of the panel.

Cradled Panels
Assorted tools and supplies in the “woodshop” with my faithful watchdog.

This is a 30″ x 24″ cradled panel I made first.

circular saw
First finished cradled panel.

After the glue set for 24 hours, I drilled and screwed the pine strips at the corners.

Cradled Panels
Two 48″ x 24″ cradled panels.

Then used wood filler to patch the screw heads and seams.

Cradled Panels
Back of a 48″ x 48″ cradled panel.

This is the back of the 48″ x 48″ panel with the bracing center piece.  Screws were added to each end.

 

Cradled Panels
48″ x 24″ cradled panel with four season “sketch” on the easel.

I made four cradled panels, each measuring 48″ high x 24″ wide.  This will be a four season grouping.  You can see a sample on the easel in the background for what I have in mind.

Cradled Panels
Edges and corners of the cradled panels.

After the wood filler dried from a pink color to natural pine, I sanded the edges and corners.

Cradled Panels
Close up of the edges and corners of the cradled panels.

Then I touched up the red tint where any sanding may have taken the paint down to the gesso layer.  I like to completely seal the front, back, and edges so that no moisture can get into the hardboard and risk warping it.

So, now I am ready to start painting.

Thanks for tuning in!   I love you!

Happy Trails,

Charlene

P.S.  Visit the shop to purchase Original Oil Paintings or Prints on Canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment