Friday, July 29, 2022

Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek

 

Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek

"Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek", oil painting, 30" x 24", c. Charlene Marsh, Code #072022 S 30x24.

Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek

This is the first painting, “Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek”, using the new cradled panels.

A sketch of the composition is painted onto the panel using a brush dipped in magenta oil paint, thinned with oil.

oil painting, Brown County, Indiana
Initial sketch.

Then I mix a dark value using Cadmium Red Medium and Ultramarine Blue and paint in the darkest values.

oil painting, Brown County, Indiana
Starting with the dark values.

Next, I start adding the green foliage on the ground and the silhouetted, tree leaves in the upper part of the sky.

oil painting, Brown County, Indiana
Adding green foliage.

Then I add the golds in the background.  Mixing a light value violet, I paint in the distant space.

oil painting, Brown County, Indiana
Background golds and violets.

The turquoise creek is next.  I use the Cerulean Blue with a touch of Cadmium Yellow Light and Titanium White for the creek water.  Adding more yellow or more white or more blue gives me various shades of water.

The sky uses a mix of Cerulean Blue and Titanium White.

oil painting, Brown County, Indiana
Creek and sky painted in.

After I paint in the basics and completely cover the support, I step back and make any adjustments.  Then I start to add the blowing leaves and branches.  Otherwise, the “movement” of the painting that brings it alive.  I work back and forth in the sky and the forest, pulling elements to the front and then pushing them back.

Finished Oil Painting

"Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek", oil painting, 30" x 24", c. Charlene Marsh, Code #072022 S 30x24.
“Trees Down Along Sciscoe Creek”, oil painting, 30″ x 24″, c. Charlene Marsh, Code #072022 S 30×24.

Side view of cradled panel painting

Side view of cradled panel painting.
Side view of cradled panel painting.

Backside View

Back side of oil painting
Back side of oil painting.

The hanging hardware will be added after the painting is framed.

Details

Detail, oil painting
Detail, oil painting

 

Detail, oil painting
Oil painting, detail.

Detail of Signature

Signature, oil painting
Detail Signature, oil painting

After I finished this painting, I wanted to rearrange the studio so I would have a bit more room to work on larger pieces.  So, I emptied out most of the supplies and equipment from the studio and stashed them on the deck.  Typically, when cleaning and rearranging, I like to empty out the space and only put back what I want to keep in it’s new space.  The rest goes to recycles, trash, or donations.  Once emptied out, I vacuum and scrub everything.  Major furniture was arranged several times in various configurations until I was satisfied.

Chaos on the deck

cleaning out the studio
Cleaning out the studio.

This should have been a two day job but rain was due at 6 p.m. so I had to work like a maniac to get everything done and all the gear put back inside.  The rain held off until 7 p.m., just after I had put the last items back inside.  Then I headed out to the forest to walk the dogs before dark.  A light sprinkle turned into a raging torrent with thunder and lightning.  The woods got really dark to where I could barely see the path.  I was soaked to the bone by the time I got home!

After I got back inside and got dry, there was some more work to do to get everything put away and arranged.

Here’s the final result for the space where I have the easels:

cleaning out the studio
Final arrangement for the easels with a 48″ x 24″ panel.

Cleaning, purging, and rearranging always feels good to refresh and reinvigorate a space.

Thanks so much for following along!

I love you and appreciate your support!

Happy trails,

Charlene

Visit Brown County, Indiana!


No comments:

Post a Comment