Sunday, January 10, 2016

Paint Colors and Palette

Hello there~

I want to share what paints I use on my palette and what kind of palette I use.

I lay out my paints around the edge of the palette and use the same basic palette each time I paint.  I limit my palette to a small selection of warm and cool primary colors plus white.  Then I mix everything from these basic colors. 


The colors I use on my palette include:

Titanium White laid out in the two front corners of my palette.  One white is for warm colors and one is for the cool colors.
Cadmium Yellow Light - one for mixing with the reds and one for the blues.
Cadmium Red Light
Cadmium Red Medium
Ultramarine Blue - one for mixing with the reds and one for mixing with the yellow.
Primary Red-Magenta
Cerulean Blue

Here's my palette in the middle of working on a painting. 



I use a parchment paper palette that I make myself from paper I buy in the baking section of the supermarket.  I used to be able to buy the  parchment paper palettes from Tara when they made it in Georgia a few years ago.  Unfortunately, they wanted to focus 100% on canvas and discontinued all their other products including the parchment palettes.  I have looked high and low and even had a major supplier look into getting it, all to no avail.  I see where it is available in Europe and Australia but I cannot get it here in the USA.  I love the way the paint mixes and makes the parchment paper "glow".  I like the little bit of "give" on a thick pad of the parchment paper.  I tried other paper palettes with the waxy finish and found them totally unsuitable.  The wax eventually comes off in nasty balls while mixing the colors with the palette knives.

Thanks for tuning in.  I appreciate you following along!

Cheers,

Charlene

P.S.  Please be sure to sign up for my email newsletter in the upper right form on this blog.  I send stuff to my subscribers that I don't share with the public and I don't want you to miss anything!  Thanks much!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I've had good luck with freezer paper - shiny side down - will give parchment paper a try. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chris~

    I never knew about the freezer paper! I sure wish some manufacturer would just make a good parchment paper palette in a couple different sizes. I just got a new pochade and will have to specially cut each sheet to fit the 10" x 12" base. My other pochade is 12" x 16" so the 15 1/2" wide parchment paper fits with just one cut per sheet.

    ReplyDelete