Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Dresden, the Smiling Dog, 050617 S 12x12

This is one of a series of pet portraits of rescue dogs currently up for adoption at the Brown County Humane Society shelter looking for their "forever homes". This handsome boy, Dresden, is described as "always smiling" and I wanted to capture that happy energy he exuded.
I drew out his picture with charcoal and kept the reference photos nearby.  You can see my set up (above).
I started blocking in the black shadow areas on his face using a mix of Ultramarine /Blue and Cadmium Red Medium.  I mix a rust color for his fur from the Cad. Red Med. and a touch of blue and yellow.
I used a touch of yellow mixed with white for his white fur and used a purple mixed with white for the shadow areas of his white fur.  Alizarin Crimson with a touch of white was used for his tongue.
I used green in the background since it is the complementary color to the reds and would visually vibrate adding to the excitement and cheer of this exuberant dog. I mixed a nice golden color for his unique eyes, adding a black pupil and a touch of a white sparkle. 
 "Dresden, the Smiling Dog", oil on panel, 12" x 12", c. Charlene Marsh, Code #050617 S 12x12.  SOLD

If you are interested in adopting Dresden, please contact the Brown County Humane Society.  This painting will be on exhibit at the Dawg Gone Walk and Fiesta fundraiser on May 21, 2017.

Thanks for following along!

Happy Trails!

Cheers,

Charlene 

No comments:

Post a Comment